Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I'm On My Way...

Gnat's Fargo prototype on Guitar Ted's Death Ride Invitational 2008

Well, I got word today that by Friday, I'll have my very own Salsa Fargo frameset to start building a bicycle out of. To say I'm looking forward to it would be an understatement, for a lot of reasons. Most of all, it signals the arrival of a true mass-produced 29-inch drop-bar-specific mountain bike. Plus, it's a true adventure bike. Six sets of bottle bosses; clearance for big fatty fat tires; easy for racks and fenders to mount to with its chainstay-mounted post-mount disc brakes... I could go on, but you get the point. It's a well thought-out bike. It'll be a good addition to the stable.

It's amazing how much thought continues to go on around this bike too, even today. Just look at the Gnat Likes Bikes blog if you have any question on that one. I also subscribe to Gnat's photo site (look for the link on the right side of his blog), and if you really want to see folks goin' deep on the Fargo, that's where you go. As in, the guys that designed the bike, working with one-off parts... Yeah, there's some cool stuff out there.

Check back towards the end of the week and I should have some early pictures posted as the frame comes in and I start pressing, sliding and threading parts into their designated places. Until then, have a great week!

Cheers,
MG

No comments: