Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My First NASCAR Experience... at the Milwaukee Mile

Jason White -- driver of the #08 AGR/GunBroker.com NASCAR Busch Series racecar

Jason signs autographs for adoring fans in-between practice sessions.

Jason and his beautiful girlfriend Robin

Of course I had to get a shot with Jason too. What a cool cat... and he doesn't even have a mullet!

Jason practices on the Milwaukee Mile track prior to the AT&T 250, June 24, 2006

I went up to this race to work for my client, GunBroker.com -- the car's sponsor. The reason there are no pics during the actual race is because I ended up being part of Jason's pit crew! I was the guy that handed the 20-gallon gas cans over the wall to the refueling guy.

Believe it or not, it was one of the coolest things I've ever done... I know that sounds crazy, but until you're there, with the fumes of burnt race gas in the air and the electricity of the event itself surrounding you, you won't be able to get a feel for what it's really like. Television doesn't convey even 10-percent of what you feel/experience when you're there in the middle of it.

Experiences like that are one of the best things about my job. I don't have 'em every day, but when they happen, they're awesome!

4 comments:

debaser said...

Neato.

MG said...

i forgot to mention -- jason ended up finishing 30th. he's capable of running in the top-10 easily though. clearly if i was on their pit crew, they have some issues they need to work out to become competitive there.

that said, two of the three pit stops were very good. the first one was chaos though -- got boxed-in by the car in the pit ahead of us, which wasn't good.

redstone said...

Kickass man. A buddy of mine and I worked pit crew for an ARCA car when we were in high school. We didn't get over the wall - we took the gas cans back to the infield to get filled. When you're down in pit row, the vibe is totally electric. Glad you had fun.

Go to Indy sometime, I guarantee you'll like that even better. Faster cars, hotter women, and a bigger party. :)

MG said...

i thought of you and doug several times that night, dave -- thinking of how awesome it'd be to have the two of you there.

i was transporting the cans to get filled too... that was the other part of my job. nothing like weaving your way past everyone else's pit with 40 gallons of race gas in-tow!!! I just about plowed-over a couple of clueless people.

Indy... now there's a race I've gotta' see at least once in my life.